Dennis Kibbe (August HackFest FLAG) Survives!

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Aug 8 22:05:53 MST 2009

Dennis Kibbe, special FLAG guest at the HackFest today, was not
encroached (unlike the M$ Laptop of another member [via SMB4K from
Backtrack4]) in the 1.5 hour available.

Since Dennis Kibbe has long supported OpenSource via the InstallFests
providing his excellent assistance as a resource to assist people to
update their computers, appear regularly to configure new services or
ask questions, this is a great DAY for Linux!

I doubt that Dennis did anything over and above normal recommended use
right out of the box.

Of course we didn't attempt fuzzing and our work in Linux Layer 8
security is all OSI Bottom Layer up, so he wasn't lured to a website
URL or sent email with XSS tunnel exploits.

We did try to bribe him, I think, but he wasn't buying the amount we
could afford.

Dennis also gave us a great many hints but in the end analysis, it
came down to insufficient time to run a dictionary/brute force hydra
attack against the only service he had running (SSH on a non-standard
port).

Join us in September for a full 3 hours of BackTrack4 - all at the new
earlier 10:00AM time slot at the Foundation for Blind Children in
Phoenix on the Second Saturday of every month!

We will be providing DVD's for the first 20 people for BackTrack4.

The Foundation has lab stations to boot and private network for your
use during the fest.

September will be an OpenFest, which means you can attack any FLAG as
well as each other.  FLAG to be announced (probably a Microsoft
system).

See you all there!
--
http://linuxgazette.net/165/kachold.html