Sugar on a Stick - Sugar Labs

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 06:14:13 MST 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net
> > <mailto:ejs at shubes.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     liveusb-creator is pretty cool all right. I'm putting CentOS on a
> thumb
> >     drive presently though.
> >
> >     I'm running Ubuntu Heron (LTS) on my desktop and didn't find l-c in
> the
> >     repos, so I'm running it in my Vista VM. I'd rather not have to go
> there
> >     though. Anyone know if there's an easy way to get l-c on to Ubuntu
> >     (short of building the source)?
> >
> >     --
> >     -Eric 'shubes'
> >
> > Eric, thats becuase your are running the ancient Hardy Heron!  Yes, I
> > know why you are, but that is why you don't just have a menu entry for
> > creating a live USB from a CD or .iso
> > --
> > Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
> >

> Ha!
>
> Will the menu entry let you create only a Ubuntu Live USB, or any other
> Live iso (with persistence), as liveusb-creator does.
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'
>
> I stand corrected.  I thought it would do any from a LiveCD .iso file but
it only does ubuntu apparently.  Similarly, the Fedora usb-creator only does
Fedoras.  In fact, I found someone complaining that he could not use it on
Fedora 10 to create a LiveUSB from a Fedora 11 .iso and it turned out that
was because 11 needed a newer syslinux.

OTOH, unetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ) will create many
different flavors and is available for both linux and windows.  I installed
it in Jaunty right from the regular repositories.

Or you might prefer FUSBi ( http://www.aligunduz.org/FUSBi/ ) which is a
unetbootin derivative which only does FSF approved free software only
distributions.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson