Memory leaks in Ubuntu?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Aug 6 09:12:06 MST 2009

No, I mean the Nvidia proprietary drivers from their site, currently
185.18.14, 64-bit.  The card is a 7950GTX, 512mb I think.

I haven't used the default NV drivers in ages, as I tend to rely on the
acceleration too much.  I haven't tried Nouveau, though from what I read
it's something of a basketcase still.

I'm looking at the turbocache as Stephen recommended, though I'm not
certain it's actually grabbing system memory.  From what (I thought) I
understood about TC, that's not applicable to non-integrated chipsets,
where IC's use system memory to compensate for lack on the gpu, and non
uses turbocache for extended memory on the board after a point (for
cards with massive memory, 768/1024mb).  I'll look though, it's
something I hadn't considered or run into as a potential as of yet.

-mb