Problem with Internet speed in laptop in Linux Mint

Renaton Patron linux at patrondesigns.com
Thu Aug 6 09:02:54 MST 2009

Hi all, I just convinced my wife to switch to Linux/GNU from Vista after her
laptop was extremely slow and infected with spyware. I use Ubuntu 9.04 in my
desktop, but I tried Linux Mint sometime ago, and I thought it can be used
as an easy transition from windows, also since it is based in Ubuntu I can
help her to migrate.
The installation was very fast, and at the end everything was working, she
was happy. The only thing we noticed was that the Internet was slow. Slower
even than her old Vista. We have been using the 1.5Mb Cox service and we
felt it was slow but we could manage. So since I wanted her to keep using
Linux Mint, I called Cox and upgraded our Internet to the 13Mb.
Now, my question. My desktop (that uses a PCI wireless card) reports a
download speed of about 8.5Mb (according to a Cox technician is not that
bad, since I'm behind a router) but my wife's laptop is getting 1.65Mb

Here's my wifes wireless card info using ifconfig

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:44:b9:27:ae
          inet addr:192.168.1.134  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::216:44ff:feb9:27ae/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:326221172 (326.2 MB)  TX bytes:26815061 (26.8 MB)

If it is any help, I'm using a Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7 with a DD-WRT v24
RC-5 firmware.

After wondering on the forums I think my problem is with IPv6. Has anybody
had a problem with IPv6? How can I disable IPv6 on Jaunty (Mint 7 is based
on Jaunty0? Ive checked some tips from the forums (upgrading the kernel,
using option ipv6.disable=1  see:
http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/04/howto-disable-ipv6-at-ubuntu-jaunty.html)
but nothing.

Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Renato