PLUG governance, etc.

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Thu Aug 6 06:52:27 MST 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 1:34 AM, Alan Dayley wrote:

> Another thread about the sonoran penguin and making a theme for the
> website surfaced some discussion about the governance of PLUG.  I'd
> like to enlighten that a little bit.

Personally, I'm on this list to ask and answer questions related to
free software.  I rarely make it to meetings.  I just want a place to
connect with smart technical people.  PLUG (and this mailing list
specifically) are exactly what I'm looking for in that regard.  Who
runs PLUG doesn't concern me in the least.  I would happily contribute
some money for servers, domain renewals, etc, if it were asked, but
I'm not interested in more structure, governance, bylaws, and such.
If you are, by all means proceed.  It just doesn't strike me as a high
priority.

I would definitely prefer fewer political topics on the list, but I
think the costs of more regulation would be higher than the benefits,
so I'll continue to filter out the stuff I'm not interested in.

This isn't because I don't care about politics, culture, law, and
other issues which come up.  (I've responded to a few of those kinds
of threads, but more often I end up deleting a half-written response
which doesn't say what I want it to.)  I mainly avoid those threads
because I think an email list is a pretty poor place to have real
discussions of complex issues like this.  A format like this serves
mainly to let people trumpet their pet theories and bicker
unproductively without actually hearing each other.  Those among us
who want to talk in more depth about those kinds of things would be
better off making plans to get together in person regularly.
(Stammtisch, anyone?)

It's fun to argue politics!  It's just not fun to do it online.  The
kinds of nuance you can fit into a face to face discussion are
infinitely superior to email.

alex