OT: Handling Politics the plug-discuss way?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sun Aug 2 22:40:44 MST 2009

> Hans agrees with me (via a quick discussion in the IRC channel) that these
> discussions in general detract from the list, and make the non-political-
> flame-war discussions less active/less... what is the word... visible, so I
> think that something should be done, or at least a discussion should take
> place about it.

It's been bad and getting worse.  It makes me sad.

#1 This does not help new people to the list.  They could be flooded
with OT: stuff for a day or two before they figure out that filtering
is needed.  By then they would be likely to give up.  It would be
better than nothing but I have doubts it would work.

#2 has been proposed and not implemented, though I don't remember why.
 I would not mind this solution as an outlet for the group to point
off topic people toward.

#3 would be very bad.  This minimizes the ability to provide immediate
and timely tech support when it is needed.  I don't like this idea at
all unless someone were moderating the list 24/7 so that there is zero
delay on the messages that need to go quick.  Otherwise we have cut a
significant part of the value of the list.  And I don't see 24/7
moderation as realistic, even if a team of people volunteered.

#4 See #3.

> My personal preference is #3, but that gives someone an extra job, and I
> don't think Hans should have to do it himself. A board of moderators be
> elected perhaps? Is there any way to crowdsource it? If this was a forum
> rather than a mailing list (which I don't support at all!) we could add a
> score/rating system, but I don't think that this is possible via e-mail.

See #3.

#2 is my preference.  If not that, the community needs to police
itself.  If it can't do that, the value deteriorates accordingly.

Alan