Geek/Tech/Entrepreneur Stuff to do in PHX

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 18:05:52 MST 2009

The national guard incident you are referring to was a government mistake.  I suspect you are writing about Kent State.

As an ex-police officer and and ex-Arizona National Guardsman I can say using the national guard to deal with a demonstration was a bad idea.

I suspect most states do little or no training on how to deal with these types of issues.  I was active duty with the Marine Corps and after being discharged from active duty I joint the Arizona Army National Guard. I received a lot of training of which maybe 1 or 2% of it had to do with civil disobedience.  The other 98 or 99% of my training was combat training.

As a police officer I spent all my time dealing with the civilian population.  Much different training and response to problems.

The government should never deploy the National Guard, reserve forces, or Active Duty personnel against American civilians.

Keith Smith