Geek/Tech/Entrepreneur Stuff to do in PHX

Lyle Tuttle L.tuttle at cox.net
Sun Aug 2 16:08:59 MST 2009

At 03:05 PM 8/2/2009, you wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 14:42 -0700, keith smith wrote:
> > Some think deregulation was a factor.  Bailing out thosw who made bad
> > decisions is even worse.
> >
> > We should have let GM and Chrysler go bankrupt at the get go.  We
> > should have held those accountable for risky loans accountable not
> > bailed them out.
>----
>the bailout of Chrysler and GM was to save the health care benefits and
>pensions of the retired and workers. Why should a government exist
>except to benefit the people?
>
>the bailout of banks and investment houses was simply to prevent a huge
>depression. We surely haven't seen the bottom of this recession and who
>knows how many more jobs & homes will be lost when it is done. While it
>goes against everything we all think is proper, bailing out some of the
>companies that caused this nightmare may have been the only option to
>prevent a complete meltdown of the economy. It still may come to pass.

Government CREATED these issues above -- have you considered that?

>----
> >
> > Yeas we have a problem.  And businesses are predatory by nature.
> > Nothing a few class action law suits can cure.
> >
> > We need the free market to find equilibrium and with government
> > intervention we have an artificial prop.
>----
>the free market was a failed experiment - that is my point. No matter
>how many times you say free market, it doesn't change the fact that free
>market is a platitude but not a successful economic model.

Yes, when it is interfered with by govt it will fail......it has a
very high percentage of failure...look around -- govt looks at a
'going' business, then says "How can I get some of their money?" and
taxes it or regulates it....

>-----
> > Hope it does not happen however there are people what are saying our
> > economy is going to tank because of the government trying to intervene
> > and correct the market.
> >
> > I will agree, some government is good.  I will also say we have a
> > government that is way too large.  Maybe by as much as 85%.
>----
>I wish I had your ability to pull numbers from thin air.
>----
> > Wait til you social security disappears and we move into hyper
> > inflation.
>----
>social security is solid if our government is solid. It is funded into
>2040 and those who are calling it endangered do so for political
>reasons.

If that is true, why are they now wanting to limit [change the rules]
Medicare/Medicaid - same thing only different....and you call SS OK
-- what if you are 20 years old now -- will SS be there for you?

>----
> > I wish I could by a lot of gold.
> >
> > We have set ourselves up for failure.  China of all countries owns
> > some 2 trillion in our national debt.  How does that help us?  It has
> > much potential to hurt us.
> >
> > We are in bed with a country that kills people that stand up against
> > the government.
>----
>The investments China has in our Treasury bills props up our economy and
>permits them to continue selling product in the US. If they decided to
>dump their holdings, our currency would be devalued to the point of
>massive economic malaise throughout the world. That is the reality. We
>have a symbiotic relationship with China, deal with it.
>
>I actually am going to China in a couple of weeks.
>
>I seem to recall our own national guard shooting at people in this
>country who stood up against the government. I fail to see the
>difference here.

The main difference [beside the numbers and the freq of occurance]
was that here, there was repercussion; in China not.....