Web hosting

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 15:23:37 MST 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Nadim Hoque <nadimhoque at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,
> Some how I was convinced to be a webmaster for the American Society of
> Civil Engineers asu chapter and I was wondering what is a good web hosting
> place that is well priced and offers good selection of tools. I have no
> experience with php/mysql (though I am trying to learn them), so i was
> wondering what are good tools that will let me create and easily administer
> (or anyone for that matter).
>
> Thanks
>
> Nadim

then On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 about 3 huors later, Mike S. replied:

for no overhead, and extremely close to zero effort on your part, you can
create a "group", and/or a "fan page" on facebook -- (and the only tools
needed, are a web browser -- e.g. Firefox -- and an internet connection).
      Of course then [I "think"], the viewers would have to join facebook --
but I guess if they wanted to [remain sorta anonymous], they could make
their profile page invisible except to friends, and not confirm (nor invite)
any friends.  I think they can even make it invisible to search engines,
etc.  Technically I think doing this is only allowed by the TOS (or whatever
it is called) if they do not already have a "real" profile page on that web
site.

Aside from that, LinkedIn dot com also has groups that you can form.  Very
convenient, -- and cheap ($0.00 as in beer).  I am not very up on the "pros"
and "cons" there.  Having an obligation to *join LinkedIn dot com* [free]
might come with the territory, but that is like being advised to learn
English -- (that is, it *"**would be a good idea**" anyway.*)

When the "AZ ex-Honeywell" group was started (I am one of the moderators of
it), circa Feb. 2006, we didn't know about [the advantages of] facebook, so
it was just formed as a group on yahoogroups.com.  Everyone has to have a
Yahoo ID (no big deal, those are free), (not a big drawback, IMHO) and there
are some pretty cool features there.  But I think if I were doing that now,
I might lean towards making it a facebook group.  Just my 0.02 .  YMMV.

Also ASU might have some kind of hosting for student groups.
You probably know more than I do, about the situation at ASU.  They [asu.edu]
used to be the landlord and ISP (and one of the major donors, of HW, SW, and
[some] free tech support) to the AzTeC Free-Net.  For the first 5 years or
so, (1994-99) that was a really good deal for AzTeC.  Then later, AzTeC
parted ways with ASU -- (probably to the great relief of both).

Also, the asce.org <http://www.asce.org/> HQ might have some deal for
student chapters.  Have you contacted them? (
http://www.asce.org/contact.cfm ) ("see also"
http://www.asce.org/membership/studmem.cfm , "etc.")

Best wishes, for success,
whatever you decide,