Geek/Tech/Entrepreneur Stuff to do in PHX

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Aug 1 22:31:43 MST 2009

Well, largely I agree with Joshua's assessment, sounds like his
experience is much like mine...

I moved to the Bay area in 99, worked tech there for 2 years, moved back
when things imploded in 01.  Since being back versed with tech skill and
corporate politics, I've only ever been able to describe most business
in Arizona as bass-ackward and/or hot-air propelled.  Largely I note
Arizona seems to encourage abuse of fair labor standards act for
salaried employees, resulting in a lot of "sweatshop IT" mentality in
corporations here.  Funny I heard mentioned godaddy and 2wire, as they
tend to be some of the biggest offenders of running said sweat shops.
Give your buddy 6 months at the Daddy to acclimate to them and ask what
he thinks.  :)

When I did move back to AZ, I'd joined some professional "networking"
groups like AZIPA that led to not much more than pedantic bickering and
posturing, not much at all helpful for business or technology
opportunities.  Ultimately I saw it splinter, fracture, and a lot of
people simply lose interest because of it, including myself.  From that
I found being an island unto yourself isn't always a bad thing, simply
networking with people I met through work.  Only recently have I
somewhat opened up to professional networking though LinkedIn and user
groups like this one, but really just to keep touch with associates and
clients of mine.  I'm still gun shy on the rest...

Since being back in AZ, I've worked for a lot of IT shops and been
exposed to a lot of people shifting between jobs, finding that more or
less most corporate politics surrounding IT are the same, and not
typically good.  I worked 3 years at GoDaddy prior and through massive
growth, while one of my best work experiences (building cool/expensive
stuff), it was also one of the worst (meat grinder stressful workplace,
implosive politics).  GD and frankly a lot of companies I've been
exposed to are more alike than not, typically because of clueless upper
management and general lack of ethics, but somehow forge along despite
themselves.  Closest analogy I can equated it to universally is "the
blind leading the blind", where self-serving politics, combined with
poor technological leadership, and now volatile economics eventually
dictate perspective reasoning of how things work.  Bad things tend to
result, and often...

The difference between working in the Bay Area and in Arizona is stark.
Generally I found a lot better talent there, with a stronger likeliness
to embrace technology, and be passionate about their work.  Here there's
just a lot of people graduating DeVry, UoP, WIU, and other "schools"
cranking out mediocre certified/degreed cannon-fodder for the local IT
shops, trying to get paid by the IT dream job.  It's almost scary
walking into new customer businesses consulting anymore, pretty safe to
assume someone knows nothing than anything about the tech they support.
While I did have this too in the Bay Area, the clueless admin syndrome
is a heck of a lot more prevalent here.  Work ethics tend to be crappier
too.  I dunno, something in the water perhaps...

Look around at the sheer number of call centers for businesses out of
state we have here, and that should tell you something.  A lot of
low-pay, mediocre jobs, and a career path to become a cattle herder of
these call centers, maybe even move into middle management if you're
lucky.  Businesses like GoDaddy, 2wire, CableOne, Cox, ETelecare, etc
simply rotate people in and out like underwear, but they're the armpits
that fund a lot of the IT business around town as well, as someone's got
to support all the infrastructure to take those calls.  Godaddy's call
centers are slightly different because they actually MAKE them money, so
they tend to commission merit pay and lavish gifts readily upon them to
keep everyone happy, but it's still at the root just another sweatshop
call center.  Other call centers are much less forgiving...

Supporting IT shops around call centers tends to be a double-edged
sword, especially when the call center slave mentality pervades into the
how companies deal with or even drive IT folk.  Even non-call-centers
seem to act this way locally more commonly than not, just because they
can, and it's the atmosphere people are becoming acclimated to.  As
people migrate jobs, I think ultimately this pervasive mentality results
in excessive overwork and general dissatisfaction, causing a
trickle-down effect into other work places.

These disinterested/jaded/overworked/underpaid workers now head out into
other IT shops to maintain infrastructure over their head and
undermanned, meaning things degrade eventually even if once deployed
properly.  I'm not at all certain if this is just a local thing, or the
new national standard at work, but it seems much more pervasive here
than certain other localities I work with.  Professional ethics are hard
to find these days in general with hard times indeed.  Anyone else of
hiring capacity notice try hiring *good* people these days?  Pretty
difficult if you ask me.

Overall, working in the tech field here for the past 8 years in a more
senior capacity, I'm often uncertain I want to remain in AZ long-term.
As I get older, my flame to set upon the world diminishes, I'll probably
just wander until I feel comfortable for a bit.  I love AZ, but I'm
fairly disparaged by the business opportunities here after all these
years...

So enough hot-air of my own, take it as you will, but that's my take on
things.  Feel free to disagree.  :)

Good discussion indeed, interesting to hear other's opinions on the
matter.

-mb