sort of OT: Linksys router blocking certain sites

Jason Hayes jason at jasonhayes.org
Sat Aug 1 16:23:24 MST 2009

On Saturday 01 August 2009 04:06:06 pm Jim March wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Jason Hayes<jason at jasonhayes.org> wrote:
> > Not sure why this is happening.
> >
> > My Linksys WRT54GS router just suddenly (yesterday a.m.) started blocking
> > a group of sites that I administer. I was working on one of the sites and
> > it started getting slower and slower, then finally cut out.
>
> Odd.  There's Windows malware in the wild that knows the default
> username/passwords (and IP addresses) for various routers and tries to
> hack them.  Any Windows stations, and did you change the admin
> password for the router?

"Odd" - That was my take on it.

I do have Windows machines that connect via wireless to the router. They all
have ZoneAlarm and AVG 8.5 protecting them as well.

Additionally, all of the wireless connections are limited by the Wireless MAC
filter on the router. I have that set to permit access only for those PCs that
I have listed on the MAC filter list.

And yes, I did change the default admin password.

The problem still exists even after changing the admin password and upgrading
to the new firmware.
--
Jason Hayes