OT: (partially) Where to submit Macbook questions?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Sat Aug 1 13:27:52 MST 2009

Macbook has many very nice features, but I am shocked by the number of
things that it does not have (or allow) ... or at least I have not yet
been able to find solutions.

So, what is the best forum to submit questions on how to do things on
a macbook?

Macs are supposed to be so "intuitive" but I am certainly not finding
that to be the case.  And, as I've submitted numerous queries to
Google, I have found that I am not alone.  For most of the questions
that I've asked so far, I've found many dozens if not hundreds of Mac
users asking the exact same questions ... and rarely find an answer.
Instead of answers, in many cases I read rather arrogant "why would
you want to do that?" or "you really don't need that." responses.

Simple things like how to resize a window.  Finally found that it can
only be done by grabbing the bottom right corner.  Not any other
corner or side. Why?  Seems such a senseless omission and limitation.

And how to delete a folder.  (Still haven't found an answer to that
... except to go to the command line).  But even that was very
difficult to find. And then files are hard to find ... 'locate'
doesn't work

And there is no simple "notepad" or simple/efficient editor (that I
could find).

And how to copy a DVD movie to a file so I don't have to carry a bunch
of DVD's with me on my flight tomorrow.

As I said at first, Macs have many very nice features, but the
omission of what should be very simple and obvious functions and
utilities that are standard on every Linux system and even on M$
garbage is really quite ridiculous.

The trackpad is horrendously slow, jittery, and unreliable.  I have to
keep moistening my fingers to get it to work.  So a USB mouse has been
the only remedy so far ... and that isn't all that reliable.

Safari has crashed several times, so I downloaded Firefox and it works
okay (stable), although the Mac version is lacking some key features
that should be obvious to have included.

Like how to view the source code for a web page?

So, back to my original question ... Where is the best place to submit
macbook questions and hope to get sensible answers?

And if someone could just tell me how to copy a DVD to the hard disk
... at least one that I've recorded off-air if not a prerecorded
(stupid DRM) movie that I own ... so I can view it from a HD file or
folder ... and how to then delete the file(s) and/or folder(s) when
I'm done.  (Moving files to trash and having the only option to delete
everything in trash is not a proper solution.)

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

PS: I installed Virtual Box to try to run Linux and it *sort-of*
works, but not entirely and I haven't been able to figure out how to
install win98 via VB as there is no floppy disk drive to use for the
required boot floppy.  I prefer win98 for my purposes rather than xp
because 98 doesn't require so much memory and overhead and it isn't
intrusive like xp always popping up with new update notices (that I do
not want).