How to remove a bond interface via command line

tjones136 at cox.net tjones136 at cox.net
Thu Apr 30 23:28:13 MST 2009

Haven't tried to get out of one, but getting into a bonded interface is pretty easy. so getting out shouldn't be that hard.

For a redhat alike system, cd to /etc/sysconfig/network scripts, move ifcfg-bond0 to something like bond0-broken.

Figure out which interface you want to use, move the current ifcfg-eth? file off to something like eth?-bond0-broken.

Cat the old bond0-broken (or whatever you called it) to get the IP address, netmask, etc.

Cat the old ineterface file to get the MAC adress for the interface you want to use. You'll recognize it by all the colons.

Create a new ifcfg-eth<number>,  drop the above mentioned lines into it, as well the lines for DEVICE and ONBOOT.  You don't want SLAVE in here.  Set BOOTPROTO for whatever you before.

It will probably look something like this:

# cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:03:08:99:43:E1
IPADDR=10.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static

Of course that's from memory, so trust what's actually on your screen over my example.

Run "service network restart" and you should be good.

Now if it's debian, you may have to wait for morning, as I don't look after enough of those for this to have ever come up.

TJ