OT: deceased erstwhile microwave oven

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Apr 30 14:56:14 MST 2009

While I personally LOVE seeing large overstuffed pieces of furniture all
over the city, and appreciate as only an Arizona native come home can, that
this can only happen here in Arizona the land of the free, I often also do
meditate about recycling and wonder how many of these erstwhile landfill
intended pieces actually end up being carried off to some other needy
person's home.

There is always Craigslist.org for free stuff?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Mike Schwartz <schwartz at acm.org> wrote:

> When our microwave oven started making a funny noise, my wife's decision
> was to just to out and buy a new one
> (the price was reasonable; and the new one works OK).
>
> Discussing the pro's and con's of that decision, would be
> *even more* off topic. ((like "off" off-Broadway??))
>
> Now, however, I have phoned the city I live in, and they have
> told me that the right thing to do (if I want to just dispose of
> the old one), is to put it out for the "once a month" pick-up
> of "un-contained trash" that the city [Glendale] provides.
>
> Too Bad:
> As a side note: The person did divulge that no attempt at all
> would be made (e.g. by the city) to recover the value of any
> "metal" that might be able to be recycled, or any other part
> of the erstwhile microwave oven. So the entire thing will go
> in to the landfill (unless I hear differently, within about 72
> hours or so -- either on this thread or via an "off-list" e-mail
> message straight to me) (or via a phone call)
> (to find my home number:)
> (see
> http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=first:"michael"+last:"schwartz"+city:"glendale"+state:"AZ"+&state=AZ&fr=php-phon<http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=first:>) (and,
> my middle initial = "L", and I live on Kristal Way).
> (when I tried that, apparently the "AZ" has to be
>  UPPER CASE! How "case sensitive" is that??)
>
> Alternatives? anyone?
> Does anyone want this ["pre-owned"] microwave oven ?
> I hesitate to guess whether or not it could be repaired.
> Some of the stuff it is "made of", might be recyclable
> or usable for something.
>
> I would be a little hesitant to see it going in to a landfill,
> (well, not literally "see", but "cause" it, and know about it)
> but, I only have a limited amount of effort earmarked to
> explore alternatives.
>
> So, if you have any ideas, please respond within
> the next 3 days.
>
> THANK YOU,
> --
> Mike Schwartz