OT: deceased erstwhile microwave oven

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Thu Apr 30 13:59:51 MST 2009

When our microwave oven started making a funny noise, my wife's decision was
to just to out and buy a new one
(the price was reasonable; and the new one works OK).

Discussing the pro's and con's of that decision, would be
*even more* off topic. ((like "off" off-Broadway??))

Now, however, I have phoned the city I live in, and they have
told me that the right thing to do (if I want to just dispose of
the old one), is to put it out for the "once a month" pick-up
of "un-contained trash" that the city [Glendale] provides.

Too Bad:
As a side note: The person did divulge that no attempt at all
would be made (e.g. by the city) to recover the value of any
"metal" that might be able to be recycled, or any other part
of the erstwhile microwave oven. So the entire thing will go
in to the landfill (unless I hear differently, within about 72
hours or so -- either on this thread or via an "off-list" e-mail
message straight to me) (or via a phone call)
(to find my home number:)
(see
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=first:"michael"+last:"schwartz"+city:"glendale"+state:"AZ"+&state=AZ&fr=php-phon<http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=first:>)(and,
my middle initial = "L", and I live on Kristal Way).
(when I tried that, apparently the "AZ" has to be
UPPER CASE! How "case sensitive" is that??)

Alternatives? anyone?
Does anyone want this ["pre-owned"] microwave oven ?
I hesitate to guess whether or not it could be repaired.
Some of the stuff it is "made of", might be recyclable
or usable for something.

I would be a little hesitant to see it going in to a landfill,
(well, not literally "see", but "cause" it, and know about it)
but, I only have a limited amount of effort earmarked to
explore alternatives.

So, if you have any ideas, please respond within
the next 3 days.

THANK YOU,
--
Mike Schwartz