Network Security and COX (was Need Advice on Routers)

Sir Light sirlight at cox.net
Thu Apr 30 13:23:51 MST 2009

Mark,

When I went online with COX, one thing above all else is that I knew I MUST, let me scream that LOUDLY again, ***MUST*** have a firewall in place.

Why? Simple...

To stop people from coming into my network with things I do NOT want like viruses, people trying to hack into my boxes, all them infected boxes trying to infect my boxes and all them sciptkiddies just playing around.

With the exception of a few ports like 25, 80 and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head, you are pretty much wide open to the above nasties from ANYWHERE,
inside and outside of COX's network which is why a firewall is a MUST.

One thing I read is that a naked Microsoft Windows box can be taken over in something like under 5 minutes even with all the patches applied. A Linux box setup to be a firewall, well... next to impossible.

One thing I have turned off is the PING response which if someone were to ping my firewall, it's like talking to a blank wall.

*pets his firewall* This firewall has served me very very well. :)

Jon