OT: What's the best antenna for digital TV?

storkus at storkus.com storkus at storkus.com
Thu Apr 30 00:06:14 MST 2009

First of all, there is no such thing as a (H)DTV antenna: an antenna is
an antenna regardless of the modulation.

Second, Antennaweb, as suggested by Chris, is pretty much the go-to web
site for checking predicted reception.

Third, and this is the kicker, exactly WHERE in the east valley?  If you
are far enough east that, say, the Usary mountains stand between you and
Prescott, your chances even with a yagi stack are zero.  If not, your
chances are greater, but it depends on where the Prescott transmitter is
(what mountain and how high), what band it's on (UHF doesn't travel as
far as VHF over hills and mountains--that is, can't knife-edge as well),
and how much power it broadcasts.
Antennaweb will give you some predictions, but they're just that:
predictions based on topo maps and calculations, not actual
measurements.  YMMV.

Mike N7MSD <- ham radio call