Need Advice on Routers

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 15:44:29 MST 2009

Lisa,

not to knock your extensive experience with commercial equipment, but
I've often found such to be
more trouble than they are worth. Now, I am not an "ordinary computer
user" like most. I tend
to go with what works with a minimum of overhead on a powerful machine
(900Mhz CPU. OpenBSD 4.2
and pf firewall and 3 NICS <one as DMZ>).

1 rul of thumb I have, if a service doesn't need to be on the firewall,
THE DON'T INSTALL IT THERE!.
VPN, DNS, TOR, any of these should never go on a firewall (its one of
the reasons why a home or
commercial devvice will fail, its a security risk). I don't even like
wobservers on firewalls. I like having an internally
facing ssh or telnet server (I did say internally facing) and pf is very
nice on rulesets 9its more easy to learn
than iptables/ipchains).

Now, I know I don't have the level of experienience you do, but from my
point of view, I find that unless
I am rich, I simply cannot afford the expensive equipment (corporate
level stuff) not can I afford the cheapo
off the shelf crapola at best buy. Given the choices, I'd rather build
me own.

anyway, thats my 2 cents worth on this subject. :)