The .bash_history that Never Heard Anything at All

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Apr 26 05:27:52 MST 2009

Hey SuperTunaMan,

By default, all commands you type in are stored in the history. You can pick
and chose the commands you want to store by putting the option…

export HISTCONTROL=ignorespace

in your ~/.bash_profile file. This will *make sure that bash don’t store any
command beginning with the space character*. So if you want bash to forget
that you typed in ‘ls’, just type in ‘ ls’(<space>ls).

As far as I know, command substitution [backtics] and sub-command setup also
can be torqued (and cause a nice Snort IDS alert) to do this nicely:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/advanced_bash_scripting_guide/commandsub.html

Custom variables are available for bash HIST:
http://sock-raw.org/papers/bash_history

Or a separate logfile for each term:
http://www.ducea.com/2006/05/15/linux-tips-take-control-of-your-bash_history/

I also suggest a keylogger:
http://www2.packetstormsecurity.org/cgi-bin/search/search.cgi?searchvalue=linux+bash+keyloggers&type=archives&[search].x=0&[search].y=0

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Andrew "Tuna" Harris <tuna at supertunaman.com
> wrote:

> Herroes
>
> There are some seekrit things that I would rather not have my
> .bash_history knowing. Is there a way to set rules that prevent commands
> containing a certain word like, say, "angry_watermelon" from being stored?
>
> Also, are things that are sent to standard out logged anywhere?

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand