HackFest Relocation: Shared Networking, Fair and Acceptable Use and HackFest Ethics = Any Objection to MOVE?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Apr 25 12:17:29 MST 2009

We have run into a couple of snafu's with regards to the Hackfests,
which relate essentially to two areas:

1) Human resources for PLUG setup and assistance for Festing.
2) Shared networking and facilities at UAT.edu with regards to keeping
our fests isolated.

Our choices therefore are:

a) The PLUG could go out to Estrella Mountain College (as long as Joey
Prestia is there) without charge, where they have a fine network,
Linux LIVECD bootable machines,  well managed acceptable use
guidelines and are amendable to festers.

For some unknown reason, Hans did not want this to happen (possibly
due to his class commitment with Mesa Community or negotiations with
UAT.edu for services) last Fall.  It's assumed this is no longer at
issue.

b) Have someone build a network every time to exclude our festing.

While 2Wire's Linux Administrator Phil Groven has offered to provide a
switch, building a complete network every time, by dragging in
equipment, then using the festers to test for three hours has a very
poor return on investment.   Han's schedule does not allow him to show
up in time to setup for anything at UAT.edu.

Snafu's

a) Three reported incidents of encroachment from a shared network
source while at UAT.edu (verified to not originate with PLUG festers).

b) We do not want to schedule an event that places any Linux user into
a security wargame; all fests, just like every responsible network
management, includes acceptable use guidelines.

For these reasons, I promote that we move the monthly HackFests to
Estrella Mountain College, should we still have the offer of
facilities open.

--
www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand