wireless problem

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Apr 24 00:43:38 MST 2009

Well Linksys has a few versions of firmware, and they provide an open
source version.

It's one of the first things you notice after a script kiddie has
pwned your router:  YOUR WIRELESS no longer WORKS.

Compiling the Linksys open source can easily provide similar results
if you do not follow the instructions right.

Also, some people have been successful by backing down to a LESS
RECENT LinkSys firmware?

On 4/24/09, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Lisa Kachold wrote:
>
>> Sorry,
>>
>> The source your firmware is running has the known WPA/WPA2 encryption
>> issues.
>>
>> I am fairly sure that this is not your 8.04 stack, but you might try
>> an updated system (or a neighbors).  My 8.04 behaves the same way,
>> while my 8.10 is fine with the same settings running to the same
>> "router".  Different firmware (or getting it exploited via script
>> kiddies running DoS remote firmware hacks - causes my connection to
>> drop.
>>
>> You need to get an OpenWRT or upgraded firmware for that WRTG54GL
>
>               .............snip...........
>
> I had no clue that there was a firmware issue so had no cause to run a
> search for it. After reading your reply I did some searching and ran
> across a number of comments agreeing with you. I also ran across a few
> that claimed the 2.6.24 kernel had problems with WPA. Don't know if
> there's anything to that.
>
> Tried upgrading the Linksys firmware...no connection. Looked at OpenWRT
> but got lost at the "Index of /8.09/x86/" page of the download. I'm
> afraid that's over my head. Lastly I tried DD-WRT....still no connection.
> Might try Tomato.
>
> Both times I tried WPA, WPA personal, WPA2, WPA2 personal, and even WEP.
> Tried pass phrases and keys. With DD-WRT I tried rebooting the router.
> Didn't see that option with the Linksys firmware.
>
> At this point I'm clueless about how to proceed, except to see if I can
> put the router through the block wall in my back yard. Any more Ideas?
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> --
> Bob Holtzman

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452