women in Free Software

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Apr 23 08:28:16 MST 2009

National Women in Technology
http://www.ncwit.org/about.factsheet.html

Local Arizona Programs:

High School Mentoring Program
Expanding Your Horizons
The University of Arizona
Southwest Institute for Research on Women
Women in Science and Engineering Program
http://w3.arizona.edu/~ws

Girls in the SYSTEM
University of Arizona
Southwest Institute for Research on Women
Women in Science and Engineering Program
In collaboration with the Tucson Sahauro Girl Scout Council
http://gistem.math.arizona.edu

SCIENCE FOR GIRLS

    Sally Ride Science. Materials, events, and camps for girls.
http://www.sallyridescience.com/home

POLICY, ADVOCACY

    Society of Women Engineers. Information about programs, advocacy,
issues. http://societyofwomenengineers.swe.org/

LIBRARY

    NASA Headquarters Library. Women in Science and Technology
bibliography. http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/hqlibrary/pathfinders/women.htm

BIBLIOGRAPHY OF BIBLIOGRAPHIES

    FairerScience. Lists of long bibliographies, some annotated.
http://www.fairerscience.org/Women-Sci.html

GENDER AND TECHNOLOGY

    Sanders, Jo (2005). Bibliography on Gender and Technology in
Education. 700 entries, with keywords which you can search in the PDF,
and annotations. A gem covering this topic.
http://www.umbc.edu/cwit/itgenderbib/

TOP

BIOGRAPHIES OF WOMEN IN SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING (ROLE MODELS)

BOOK SERIES FOR YOUNG READERS

    National Academy of Sciences. Women’s Adventures in Science
Series. Biographies written about ten contemporary working scientists.
http://www.iwaswondering.org/about.html#science

MATHEMATICIANS

    Agnes Scott College. Biographies of Women Mathematicians.
http://www.agnesscott.edu/Lriddle/women/women.htm

MADAME CURIE

    American Institute of Physics. Madame Curie and the Science of
Radioactivity. An illustrated narrative of her life.
http://www.aip.org/history/curie/

WOMEN AT MIT

    Association of MIT Alumnae. Celebrating 125 Years of Women at MIT
1873-1998. Stories of pioneers with lots of photos, and a
bibliography. Ties stories to trends in women’s rights in 20th
Century. http://www.mit-amita.org/esr/swallow.html

ENGINEERS

    National Academy of Engineering. Engineer Girl. Online profiles of
women engineers. Nice Q&A about why they picked engineering, what they
like, their families, etc.
http://www.engineergirl.org/CMS/WomenEngineers.aspx Also, Engineers
Without Borders, which grabs interest.
http://www.engineergirl.org/CMS/WhyBeAnEngineer/9483.aspx

MORE ENGINEERS

    NASA. Women of NASA. Profiles of women engineers in all kinds of
positions at the national agency. Personal bios written by the women.
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/women/WON.html

ASTRONOMERS

    Questions and Answers About Women in Astronomy. A slightly raw
text but rich in information from women in astronomy about their
careers. From University of Maryland.
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/teaching/questions/women.html

CHEMISTS

    Rayner-Canham, Marelene and Geoffrey (1998). Women in Chemistry:
Their changing roles from alchemical times to mid-twentieth century.
About 50 biographies and overviews of eras. Available for download and
as a used book on Amazon.

SCIENTISTS

    Veglahn, Nancy (1991). Women Scientists. Written for young people,
profiles 11 people, including Rachel Carson, Margaret Mead, Barbara
McClintock, and Mildred Dresselhaus. Out of print but used copies are
available.

MORE SCIENTISTS

    O'Hern, Elizabeth Moot (1985). Profiles of Pioneer Women
Scientists. Profiles 20 women since late 1900's. An early book: "Now,
for the first time, leading women... receive their due." Out of print
but used copies available.

RADIO STORIES

    WAMC Northeast Public Radio. Audio Portraits of Women in STEM:
Her-Story, Then and Now. Also, Sounds of Progress II features
inspirational women throughout history, 26 2-minute stories.
Professional radio series available to listen as streaming audio,
download a podcast, or request a free CD set. Contemporary and
historical profiles, some feature-length.
http://www.womeninscience.org

SERIOUS BIOS

    Journeys of Women in Science and Engineering: No universal
constants. By Susan Ambrose, Kristin Dunkle, Barbara Lazarus, India
Nair, and Deborah Harkus. Temple University Press. 88 personal stories
of contemporary women scientists and engineers, with photos. Whole
range of careers represented. Not written for children, but a great
source of bios. Big book.

NOVEL FEATURING ASTROPHYSICIST

    Lesert, Maryann (2009). Base ten, a novel. The Feminist Press.
Part of a special project featuring stories of women in science.
Available commercially.

THE TRUTH ABOUT SCIENCE CAREERS

    Gornick, Vivian (2009). Women in Science: Then and Now. Updated
and reissued 1983 book subtitled:100 journeys into the territory. The
Feminist Press. This is not for children – it is the truth about a
career in science. So true that the names are withheld. It tells the
highs and the lows, the discoveries, the politics, the fun, the
trade-offs, the ugly incidents. The best “real world” orientation I
know, although it is only current to the 1980’s. Available
commercially.

TOP

VIDEO’S AND CD’S

GIRLS DOING SCIENCE
Twin Cities Public Television. DragonFly TV video segments. Very
engaging stories of girls exploring science, taking into account the
research on what girls like and need. Segments can be played online.
Activity guides are available
http://pbskids.org/dragonflytv/podcasts/index.html

THE COLLEGE EXPERIENCE
Gender Chip Project. One-hour documentary. About the experience of
women in undergraduate S&E. Has classroom curricula and workshop
toolkits. http://genderchip.org/documentary

A PEPPY COMMERCIAL
University of Maryland-Baltimore County (2004). You Can Be Anything! A
music video to encourage girls and women to embrace technology. A
short piece designed by girls, aimed at middle school. Can be used to
prepare an audience. http://www.umbc.edu/be-anything

NON-TRADITIONAL CAREERS
National Institute for Women in Trades, Technology and Science
(IWITTS). Career Options for Women: Emerging Technologies - 35-DVD
Series. The 24-minute DVDs are sold individually or as a set. For
example, women in construction, mining, forestry, adventure tourism,
textiles, aviation. Also, WonderWise: Women in Science Kits that show
real women scientists working in, for example, urban ecology, space
geology, genetic counseling, and even African plant exploration. Get
an angel to buy them for your library or your project.
http://www.womentechstore.com/careervids.html

The Archives of Women in Science and Engineering
Iowa State University
http://www.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/wise/wise.html

Cascade Pass
http://www.cascadepass.com

Eisenhower National Clearinghouse
http://www.enc.org

Engineer Girl
http://www.engineergirl.org/

Expect the Best From a Girl
http://www.academic.org/

Girls and Women in Science at Beloit College
http://www.beloit.edu/~gwsci/index/html#what

GirlStart
http://www.girlstart.com

Girltech
http://www.radicagames.com/girltech

Helping Your Child Learn Science (U.S Department of Education)
http://www.ed.gov/pubs/parents/Science/index.html

Math/Science Network
http://www.expandingyourhorizons.org

Plugged In
http://www.plugged-in.org

Research Information Network (RIN) For Women and Girls in Illinois
http://www.uic.edu/orgs/rin

Role Model Project for Girls
http://www.womenswork.org/girls/compsci

TAP Junior
http://women.cs.cmu.edu/ada/Resources/TAPJunior/

Women of NASA
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/women/intro.html

On 4/23/09, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> there's a small seminar for teenage ( pre-teen? ) girls Friday morning.
> One of the goals is to show them opportunities for women in IT.
>
> I have the opportunity to insert some information about opportunities and
> resources for girls in Free Software.
>
> I know about LinuxChix and some other resources. I have no idea if any of
> them are appropriate for teenage girls. I also don't know if they're good
> for people new to tech and Free Software.
>
> Any suggestions for resources I should push for inclusion?
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/
> #  "I never let schooling get in the way of my education." -- Mark Twain

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand