How to properly re-establish users after a reinstall?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Apr 20 21:09:46 MST 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 19:53 -0700, Lisa Kachold wrote:
> Looks like your /home partition was being equated as /hda7 - which makes sense.
>
> umount /dev/hda7
> mkdir /home
> mount -t ext3 (or whatever it is) /dev/hda7 /home
> df -k
> vi /etc/passwd
> ls -al ~joe
> ls -al ~pattie
>

> You can change the mount point via /etc/fstab
> You can change the users home via /etc/passwd
> Be sure to chown/chgrp all the files to their corresponding users
>
> cd ~joe | chown -R joe:joe *
> cd ~pattie | chown -R pattie:pattie *
----
just a comment...I don't generally recommend to people to directly
edit /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow (even with vi) just because
the problems caused by a careless edit are truly vexing. Perhaps that is
one way people can learn but it is not the thing to do for the most
users.

Craig

believed to be clean.