SAN storage practical list of options

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 23:39:19 MST 2009

well i have a large project, I need to create a "growable" store of
data that is redundant as it will have archival media (audio and
video). both will be HD quality media. so i am looking at a large pool
fo data.

i can build a NAS box that will last a while, but it will hit a
terminal point of capacity. and it will be a single point of access so
it will create access issues.

So a SAN to distribute both load redundancy and allow for a growing
capacity is kind of needed.

and looking at most everything out there im leery of jumping on a hype
bandwagon.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Stephen wrote:
>
>> anyone here using a SAN and if so what are they using, maybe some of
>> the points that sold you on it? or i fyou hate it why?
>>
>> it would be nic to have real world thoughts on it instead of all the
>> markey speak...
>
> Could you elaborate on the requirements somewhat?  How do you balance the
> goals of redundancy, performance, scalability, cost, etc?

Stephen