Does switching from 1.5 Mbp to a faster fiber-optic connection require any system changes?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Apr 17 17:57:38 MST 2009

No switching to a higher bandwidth DSL Qwest service will equate to nothing
more than a QoS jockey batch running the settings to each level of service
based on your support tags.

I would, however, be sure that they did not charge you for the "self
install" kit.

Once you determine it was not part of additional expansion fees, the CD will
make a fine coaster or when crunched up small and laminated into plastic,
earrings that geeky women will happily buy at First Friday.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> Does switching from my current Qwest DSL 1.5 Mbp service to a faster
> fiber-optic connection require any system changes?
>
> When I first got hooked up with Qwest DSL, I remember it was quite a
> hassle to get it to work.  But once I got it sorted out, with a few
> relatively minor outages, it has been working fine for a couple years.
>  Upon the recommendation by some PLUG folks, I got a used 2-Wire
> modem/router from RedSeven because I was told it would work better
> than what Qwest was providing at that time.
>
> Since Qwest has been promoting higher-speed, fiber-optic connections
> of up to 20 Mbps, I called to ask their customer service department if
> I would have to make any changes to my current setup if I signed up
> for this.  Their answer was, "No, everything will remain the same."
> So, I signed up for the 7 Mbps option for an extra $10/month.
>
> Today, I received a package containing a "QuickConnect" Installation
> CD that is described as being needed to "optimize" my modem.  No doubt
> this CD has some M$ program and I am
>
> Since my system is Linux, I suspect this CD is probably useless to me.
>
> So, is there anything I will need to do via my Linux system to get
> everything to work correctly?
> And if so, what?

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand