Does switching from 1.5 Mbp to a faster fiber-optic connection require any system changes?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Apr 17 15:36:10 MST 2009

Does switching from my current Qwest DSL 1.5 Mbp service to a faster
fiber-optic connection require any system changes?

When I first got hooked up with Qwest DSL, I remember it was quite a
hassle to get it to work.  But once I got it sorted out, with a few
relatively minor outages, it has been working fine for a couple years.
 Upon the recommendation by some PLUG folks, I got a used 2-Wire
modem/router from RedSeven because I was told it would work better
than what Qwest was providing at that time.

Since Qwest has been promoting higher-speed, fiber-optic connections
of up to 20 Mbps, I called to ask their customer service department if
I would have to make any changes to my current setup if I signed up
for this.  Their answer was, "No, everything will remain the same."
So, I signed up for the 7 Mbps option for an extra $10/month.

Today, I received a package containing a "QuickConnect" Installation
CD that is described as being needed to "optimize" my modem.  No doubt
this CD has some M$ program and I am

Since my system is Linux, I suspect this CD is probably useless to me.

So, is there anything I will need to do via my Linux system to get
everything to work correctly?
And if so, what?