Safe to remount live partition?

Dayley, Alan ADayley at adtron.com
Thu Apr 16 15:19:52 MST 2009

Ah! Nothing like a paint shower to wake-up your afternoon! ;^)

Thanks for the confidence building advice.

The Thought Plinkens!

According to

http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/06/07/tips-from-an-rhce-new-default-moun
t-options-in-red-hat-enterprise-linux-5/

RHEL5 already sets user_xattr as a mount default.  Output from tune2fs
agrees:

# tune2fs -l /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol04
tune2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Filesystem volume name:   <none>
Last mounted on:          <not available>
Filesystem UUID:          480d17e6-1b3c-4cf4-a31f-0c1ec0512fab
Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
Default mount options:    user_xattr acl

So remounting is not needed, it appears.

So this points to my lack of knowledge for Samba settings.  I'll dive
back into the documents to fill that gap!

Alan