Samba share and file attributes

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:15:30 MST 2009

I dont recall samba being able to do this, but its been a while since
i have tried.

If your Linux box can be redone, and you have an actual windows server
someplace on the network it might be easier to set up an iSCSI
connection to the server and then share the data.

or maybe look into a new structure. IE make the smb what you need for
the windows clients then allow the Linux clients to access the same
data via NFS and set read only that way

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:
> Samba is getting the better of me.  No, it's wipping me.
>
> I have a Samba 3.2 server sharing a directory tree.  Let's call this
> share Master.  Here is what I need:
>
> - All Linux users in group "mastershare" need MSWindows "full control"
> on all files in the tree via MSWindows clients.
> -- This means read, write, create, delete, etc.
> -- Most important they must be able to set the MSWindows file
> attributes: read-only, system, hidden
> - All Linux users in the group "mastershareread" need read-only access
> via MSWindows clients.
> - All other Linux users have no access via MSWindows clients.
>
> The attributes part is killing me.  I cannot get the combination of
> file-system permissions and all the Samba settings involved such that
> I can allow the "mastershare" group control of the attributes!
>
> Samba settings involved are:
> map hidden
> map system
> map archive
> map readonly
> store dos attributes
> create mask
> directory mask
> force user
> force group
> (Others?)
>
> This is all interacts with the linux file system permissions bits,
> user, group, etc.  It's driving me crazy.
>
> Anyone want to help?  What more information do I need to provide?
>
> Alan

Stephen