Which EMail reader for BIG volumes of mail?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 9 21:37:37 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 19:39 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:

> I know this probably sounds like a commercial for Google, but you can
> easily setup a gmail account to fetch mail from other mailboxes, and
> then use the gmail web interface as well as access gmail via IMAP.
> That way if there is a 2GB inbox and your IMAP client is choking on
> it, you can just use the gmail web interface to go in and deleted
> stuff, and also take advantage of gmails excellent spam filtering.
>
> That being said, my line of thinking is that someone who has never
> used linux before, is in no way ready to setup and run their own IMAP
> server, spamassasin, etc. Its certainly good to learn those things,
> but I have seen hardcore MS users get the "deer in the headlights"
> look just from seeing a bash prompt. You don't want to scare her away
> with a steep learning curve. Even if you set it all up for her, just
> the perceived complexity and lack of understanding of whats running
> the backend can make it seem daunting to a newbie.
>
> If you are prepared to setup everything for her and be her support
> person 24/7 and all she knows is "I click this icon and I am supposed
> to see my email", then I wish you luck and success.
----
you don't sound like a commercial for Google and I think that what you
say makes perfectly good sense.

There are distributions SME comes to mind that is supposed to be
somewhat of a turnkey setup for SOHO if the challenge is great and of
course, Google is a really great option too.

I think we've spun the discussion to the right place - the issue is less
about which mail client you are using but how/where you are storing your
mail which seems to me to be the more important issue.

And it is certainly possible to use Google as your personal mail store
and use just about any e-mail client to access your mail store on
Google. The fact that I'm partial to running my own IMAP server rather
than relying upon Google doesn't mean that everyone should do it. Google
does have limits to their 'free' stuff though.

Craig

believed to be clean.