Which EMail reader for BIG volumes of mail?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 9 17:59:22 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 17:20 -0700, Jim March wrote:
> When I mean "big", I mean out past 2gig in a matter of a few days.  I
> have somebody who wants to convert who is likely THE biggest EMail
> volume user that anybody's ever seen.  And somebody literally famous
> enough that if she jumps to Linux, the news will make Digg and Reddit
> in a matter of days.
>
> She also need to deal with multiple accounts.  She's on Outlook now.
> I'll almost certainly be her them to Ubuntu Intrepid, although Jaunty
> in beta is looking SO good right now...
>
> Anyways.  Suggestions welcome.  I know for a fact she'll overload
> Thunderbird if we try that!  Would the latest Evolution work, or
> should I be thinking of a text-based reader, or...???
----
Evolution looks/feels like Outlook which may provide comfort. I have
used it for many years and I'm comfortable with it and I am on a lot of
mail lists and often get 1000+ e-mails a day.

I find that less important than the actual e-mail program used is how
e-mail is stored because if you have a LOT of e-mail, local stores of
POP3 account e-mail in mbox can really drag down the performance and
make it hard to move from program to program.

I know some will think this is overkill but I think that the only way to
go is to run your own IMAP server, use fetchmail or getmail to retrieve
e-mail from various accounts if you have to and use dovecot or
cyrus-imapd to provide IMAP to mail clients. This way, you can use
whatever mail program you want or try them all and from various
computers and your mail is already marked read/replied to/deleted etc.

Once a serious e-mail user catches on to the value of having your own
IMAP server, they will never give it up.

Craig

PS Dovecot and cyrus-imapd use similar but different 'Maildir' format to
store mail (never use mbox).

believed to be clean.