Linux as a wireless AP

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Apr 6 09:48:42 MST 2009

Paul Mooring wrote:
>   I've got a couple of old machines I use a routers around my house
> (gentoo based iptables routers) that I'd like to use an old pci wireless
> card to make my AP and get rid of my old WRT54G, does anyone know of a
> way to do this? Hopefully with a decent howto or guide, or else know of
> a reason why this is a bad idea/security problem. (btw I the wireless
> card I have is a ralink, and I think I have an atheros around somewhere)

I'd give IPCop a shot on one of those old machines. It's 'blue'
interface is designed for wireless. I think you'll find IPCop full
featured, and much easier to maintain/configure than your gentoo
routers. FWIW, if you really miss building everything from scratch, you
can compile IPCop yourself from sources as well. It's based on LFS. ;)

--
-Eric 'shubes'