Anyone need a Sun 6500? Or two...or three?

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Sun Apr 5 15:20:50 MST 2009

I posted this nearly 10 months ago, and still have them. At the time a
few people replied, some of them obviously just wanted them to resell
them, some for wrong reasons like "use them as a game server". I did
have one serious inquiry but I was so busy at the time (I was suddenly
responsible for the jobs of 5 people) I didn't get back to them and
their voicemail got autopurged.

Anyhow, I am looking to get rid of these servers. I can help roll them
out to the elevator lobby but loading them up and taking them away is
your responsibility. Here is my orig message:

Here are some pics I snapped of the servers before I left work today. I
shoved an office chair into the frame so you could get an idea of the
scale. Note on any of the URLs yhou can s/sized// if you want to see a
larger version.

Rear view:
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02099.sized.jpg
Side view:
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02098.sized.jpg
Front view:
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02100.sized.jpg

As you can see, these are not something that you can just slide into the
back of an SUV. I doubt that 2 men could pick them up to put them into
the back of a pickup, you will probably need a truck with a ramp or
liftgate. Note that the doors for the top portion of the cabinet are
missing. I believe they got donated away with another shipment.

The cabinets themselves require 220V power:
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02105.sized.jpg
However, this is mainly to provide a lot of power for filling it up with
disk arrays. You CAN plug just the server into a normal 115V power
source (with a normal plug).

I have not powered them on yet to verify the specs, but here is an idea,
based on eyeballing the installed boards, and the usual loadout of 2
CPUs and 2GB of RAM per board:
Server 1: 8 boards = 16 CPUs, 32GB RAM
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02106.sized.jpg
Server 2: 5 boards (2 filler panels, plus 1 missing) = 10 CPUs, 20GB of
RAM: http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02101.sized.jpg
Server 3: 6 boards (2 filler panels) = 12 CPUs, 24GB RAM:
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02107.sized.jpg

If you're curious as to what the boards look like on the inside:
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02102.sized.jpg

Heres a pic of the back of one of the servers:
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02104.sized.jpg
2 IO boards with multiple SE and differential SCSI controllers, and FC
interfaces. It looks like this particular one actually has a disk board
installed in one of the rear bays, which means it can boot up by itself.
At the time I didn't notice if they all had disk boards, but from
looking again at the large rearview pic (
http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/cellpics/DSC02099?full=1 ), I believe
they do, which is really nice in that no disk array for the OS is needed.

Other random notes:
* It looks like someone stole the fan module out of one of the
enclosures, I will find it if I can.
* One of the cabinets has some large scratch marks on one side (who
cares, its a server cabinet and will probably be pressed against a wall
or another server cabinet).
* The cabinets do have wheels and they roll straight forward/backward
fairly easily, once you get some momentum going :)
* At least one of the cabinets has rackmounts for what looks like D1000
disk arrays in the bottom.

Again, I cannot stress enough that this is some serious hardware, and
even though they are only 400Mhz CPUs, they are 64bit UltraSparc CPUs,
and 16 of them can be quite powerful. These servers were primarily used
for Oracle database servers and they did the job well. This equipment
would be WAY overkill for game servers or just to play with.  I am
hoping someone that otherwise could not afford them could make use of
them for hosting some serious apps for their school or business.