"Plug Computing"

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Sat Apr 4 16:20:56 MST 2009

I received my SheevaPlug computer on Friday. Here are some pics of what
I got: http://www.the-ownage.com/?p=830
I have noticed that there are several other companies now using this
exact same model, and basically re-selling them as fancy NAS devices.
Here is some more info on that:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html  (the list of similar
products is near the bottom).

I havn't really gotten a chance to put it through its paces yet, as I
have been slowed down by trying to compile the uvcvideo module so that I
can plug in a usb 2.0 web cam for testing some video-security
applications I am working on.

Since I'm ssh'd into it now, I will just cut and paste some stuff:

root at debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.22.18 #1 Thu Mar 19 14:46:22 IST 2009 armv5tejl GNU/Linux

root at debian:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARM926EJ-S rev 1 (v5l)
BogoMIPS        : 1192.75
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x56
CPU architecture: 5TE
CPU variant     : 0x2
CPU part        : 0x131
CPU revision    : 1
Cache type      : write-back
Cache clean     : cp15 c7 ops
Cache lockdown  : format C
Cache format    : Harvard
I size          : 16384
I assoc         : 4
I line length   : 32
I sets          : 128
D size          : 16384
D assoc         : 4
D line length   : 32
D sets          : 128

Hardware        : Feroceon-KW
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

root at debian:~# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00400000 00020000 "uImage"
mtd1: 1fb00000 00020000 "rootfs"

root at debian:~# df -h
rootfs                507M  329M  179M  65% /
tmpfs                 252M     0  252M   0% /lib/init/rw
varrun                252M   36K  252M   1% /var/run
varlock               252M     0  252M   0% /var/lock
udev                  252M  8.0K  252M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 252M     0  252M   0% /var/cache/apt
(Note that when I received the unit the FS was only about 23% full, I
have since then installed kernel-source and other packages).

Here are the options available in the "uboot" pre-boot environment:
Marvell>> ?
?       - alias for 'help'
base    - print or set address offset
boot    - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootd   - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootext2    dev:boot_part1,boot_part2 addr boot_image linux_dev_name
bootm   - boot application image from memory
bootp   - boot image via network using BootP/TFTP protocol
bubt    - Burn an image on the Boot Nand Flash.
chpart  - change active partition
cmp     - memory compare
cmpm    - Compare Memory
cp      - memory copy
cpumap - Display CPU memory mapping settings.
crc32   - checksum calculation
date    - get/set/reset date & time
dclk    - Display the MV device CLKs.
dhcp    - invoke DHCP client to obtain IP/boot params
diskboot- boot from IDE device
echo    - echo args to console
eeprom  - EEPROM sub-system
erase   - erase FLASH memory
ext2load- load binary file from a Ext2 filesystem
ext2ls  - list files in a directory (default /)
fatinfo - print information about filesystem
fatload - load binary file from a dos filesystem
fatls   - list files in a directory (default /)
fi      - Find value in the memory.
flinfo  - print FLASH memory information
fsinfo  - print information about filesystems
fsload  - load binary file from a filesystem image
g       - start application at cached address 'addr'(default addr 0x40000)
go      - start application at address 'addr'
help    - print online help
icrc32  - checksum calculation
ide     - IDE sub-system
iloop   - infinite loop on address range
imd     - i2c memory display
imm[.b, .s, .w, .l]     - i2c memory modify (auto-incrementing)
imw     - memory write (fill)
inm     - memory modify (constant address)
iprobe  - probe to discover valid I2C chip addresses
ir      - reading and changing MV internal register values.
loop    - infinite loop on address range
ls      - list files in a directory (default /)
map     - Diasplay address decode windows
md      - memory display
me      - PCI master enable
mm      - memory modify (auto-incrementing)
mp      - map PCI BAR
mtdparts- define flash/nand partitions
mtest   - simple RAM test
mv_diag - perform board diagnostics
mv_diag
        - display all available tests
mv_diag all
        - run all available tests
mv_diag test1
        - run specified test
mw      - memory write (fill)
nand                   - NAND sub-system
nboot   - boot from NAND device
nbubt   - Burn a boot loader image on the Boot Nand Flash.
nm      - memory modify (constant address)
pci     - list and access PCI Configuration Space
phyRead - Read PCI-E Phy register
pciePhyWrite    - Write PCI-E Phy register
phyRead - Read Phy register
phyWrite        - Write Phy register
ping    - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST to network host
printenv- print environment variables
protect - enable or disable FLASH write protection
rarpboot- boot image via network using RARP/TFTP protocol
rcvr    - Satrt recovery process (Distress Beacon with TFTP server)
reset   - Perform RESET of the CPU
resetenv        - Return all environment variable to default.
run     - run commands in an environment variable
saveenv - save environment variables to persistent storage
se      - PCI Slave enable
setenv  - set environment variables
sflash  - read, write or erase the external SPI Flash.
sg      - scanning the PHYs status
sp      - Scan PCI bus.
tftpboot- boot image via network using TFTP protocol
usb     - USB sub-system
usbboot - boot from USB device
version - print monitor version