Recreating Directory Trees?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Apr 3 17:04:11 MST 2009

SuperTuna Man asked:

"Can I just copy that structure and leave all those files behind?"

Solutions:

tar:

tar cvf - `find /dir1 -name '*.dbf'` > dir1.tar

Whatever your find is, put it between the backticks ` `.

Go to /newdir and untar the dir1.tar
<cptree>
#!/bin/sh
if [ $# = 2 ]
then
    (cd $1; tar cf - .) | (mkdir $2; cd $2; tar xvfp -)
else
    echo "USAGE: "`basename $0`" <source_directory> <dest_directory>"
    exit 1
fi
----< cptree <----

or

$ mkdir /dir2

$ cd /dir1

$ find . -type d | cpio -pvdm ../dir2

I'm sure there are other ways.

Obnosis | (503)754-4452

PLUG Linux Security Labs 2nd Saturday Each Month at Noon - 3PM