OT: Speed Cams

stu w wien33 at cox.net
Fri Apr 3 10:27:30 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 09:43 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 09:24 -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> > On 4/1/09, Bryan O'Neal <boneal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:
> > > I have no issue with red-light cameras, if they provide a yellow light of
> > > adequate length to safely stop after noticing the light change, say 5 or 6
> > > seconds.  As for the speed cameras, well, I am agenst speed limits and
> > > believe it should be safe and prudent as seen by an officer and confirmed by
> > > a judge. As for the cameras in particular, no one has been able to make
> > > public a report showing they do anything other then annoy drivers. Accidents
> > > have not gone down ...
> >
> > Photo radar saves lives.  Period.
> >
> > According to the Arizona State Department of Public Safety, because of photo
> > radar, crashes are down by 12%, injuries have been cut by 17%, and fatality
> > collisions are down by 29% on Phoenix-area highways.
> >
> > No clear-thinking person would want to eliminate photo radar simply because
> > of their personal desire to want to disregard and disobey highway speed laws.
> ----
> The state tried to increase revenue with these cameras and implemented a
> system where there was only a single financial penalty for being
> captured on photo radar. No points against your license, no report to
> insurance...just money.
>
> While there is a direct correlation to speed and fatalities, there's no
> accommodation for reasonable and prudent, only a hard line between 75 &
> 76 mp/h where money changes hands. 76 mp/h during rush hours is
> infinitely more dangerous than at 11:00 pm when the traffic is sparse.
>
> If speed were the only issue, let's just lower the speed limits
> everywhere and people will be much safer. I am quite certain that if the
> speed limit on the 101 was 45 mp/h, there would hardly be any
> fatalities.
>
> Craig

Except in the case of "Criminal" speeding (20+ mph over the posted limit).
Even at 4:00AM with no other traffic around, the DPS will come to your
home or workplace and haul you off to jail, no other evidence is
required for a conviction, and you can't defend yourself against a
camera. A little to "Big Brother" for my liking.