OT: Speed Cams

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:49:11 MST 2009

quoting, *There is no dollar amount that can be set for the value of a life.
*

That's an interesting topic. To save some one's life from, let say, traffic
collisions, costs $1,000,000, but we can save 10 burn victim's lives for
$100,000, then, not only can we put a price on human life, we can put a cost
on saving human lives in perspective. Obviously, these particular numbers
are fake, however there are numbers associated with saving every single
life, and because we live in a place of finite resources, we must decide how
we use those resources to save some, if any, of those lives. It is nice to
dictate via the government that we save all lives, but its at least
impractical, and at most statist.

In reference to the rest of your post, you will never eliminate all risk
from your or your daughter's life. If driving on the freeway is too risky
for your life (or your daughter's), then choose to drive on surface streets,
or walk, or bicycle, or stay home and pay for others to bring their goods
and services to you. I have a son and I mitigate the risks associated with
begin alive every single day, and its our role as parents to not only
mitigate life's risks, but teach this risk mitigation to our kids as well.

Eric

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Dorian A. Monroe, II <dorian.monroe at cox.net