OT: Speed Cams

Grzegorz Furmanek greg at ttiltd.com
Thu Apr 2 10:45:25 MST 2009

I have to concur with the other critics of speed cameras.  Any
statistical
data generated by the DPS should be carefully examined and verified
before making conclusive statements.

I do agree speed does play a role in severity of accidents and it should
be considered a factor in decreased time for reaction, however
the bigger issue is the fact that people do not pay attention to the
road
to begin with.

Some other statistics I have seen show that talking on the phone while
driving decreases the reaction time to levels of an intoxicated person.
The studies did not even mention dialing the phone.  Only talking and it
did not really matter if it was hands-free or not.

Also one may argue that putting cameras all over the place causes
people to pay more attention to spotting the cameras and less on driving
itself.  Which also is not the optimal for driving.

Just my 2 cents.