Web Server Issues Centos

Wed Apr 1 19:01:01 MST 2009

I am having a problem that for the life of me I cannot solve.  I am setting
up a basic web server on Centos5 duplicating a setup I have on Centos4.  My
old setup is on a slow server that has some hardware failing randomly.

I have the standard apache setup that I have appended with the following
information I have at the bottom of the email.  When I try to access a basic
index.html file that I created in the folder /home/gilbert/pub_html/html I
get:
"Forbidden

Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.test.net Port 80"

SELinux is disabled
Apache is set to debug on the logging
The machine I have accessing the server has a modified hosts file pointing
test.net and www.test.net to 172.16.5.134
The error file gives me:
"(13)Permission denied: access to / denied"
The access file gives me:
"GET / HTTP/1.1" 403 286

If I remove my mods, and put a test index file into /var/www/html/, the
system works fine (just no virtual hosts).  I am puzzled since the server
does not have any issues with my config file and the file is identical (with
the exception that this file has only one virtual domain name and the ip) to
my config file on my online server that contains multiple domains.

Can someone lead me to the promiss land?

Thanks,
Gilbert

------------------ httpd.conf mod ------------------

NameVirtualHost 172.16.5.134:80

<Directory "/home/*/pub_html/html">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/*/pub_html/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    # AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/*/pub_html/icons">
    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<VirtualHost 172.16.5.134:80>
    ServerAdmin gilbert at test.net
    DocumentRoot /home/gilbert/pub_html/html
    ServerName test.net
    ServerAlias www.test.net
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/gilbert/pub_html/cgi-bin/
    Alias /icons/ /home/gilbert/pub_html/icons/
    ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/test.net-error_log
    CustomLog /var/log/httpd/test.net-access_log common
</VirtualHost>