OT: Emergency Buy Out

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 08:14:38 MST 2008

Why is it we turn to the government to "protect" us from ourselves? If any
organization knows the power of transparency, its this one. We know why we
want open source software. So we can audit a piece of code any time we want
to ensure its doing what we think its doing. If we rely on the government to
protect us from evil corporations, why don't we rely on government to
protect us from evil software? I know my answer (governments are
historically ineffective at everything other than law-enacting and tax
spending, but not law enforcing and tax saving). Why don't we push for open
accounting practices from our businesses? When we open an account at a bank,
why don't we know their investment strategy? Why don't we know how much
capital they keep to ensure timely withdrawals? Why do we think the FDIC
placard is more valuable than independent third party analysis? The
government has shown time and again it can't be trusted with our money or
our respect (at least mine), yet we keep turning to it for help. The
definition of insanity is repeating the same behavior and expecting
different outcomes. Doesn't this behavior sound like insanity?