SOOT: Drupal publish to email module?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sun Sep 28 19:16:20 MST 2008

(SOOT = sort-of off-topic)

In a new Drupal 6.4 site I want to be able to publish a story or page
direct to email.  The process I imagine is something like:

- User writes a story, blog post or page.
- Once published, the user can click an option to email either:
-- The entire contents of the node
-- OR the teaser summary and a link to the node

I'm trudging through the different Mail and Community modules on
drupal.org to see what I think will work.  The Forward module looks
close to the later type of email but is in beta for 6.x and does not
match completely.  I'll keep looking but wondered if any of you have
experience with a solution like what I am seeking.

The big picture is to eliminate the publication of the same content on
both the web site and in a separate email.  The community should use
the web site as the primary content source with emails sent to alert
people of new content.  I know RSS feed subscription or notification
type tools could work for this but they don't fit the community
audience:

- The community members largely have no knowledge of RSS.
- They currently don't have login capability on the site that would
allow control of notifications.  Eventually we will want login, maybe,
but not for now.

We already have the community trained to get information by
subscribing to an email list.  The publication addon could send the
email to the pre-existing list server for forwarding on to the
subscriber base.  This would be easiest to integrate into the
community without requiring them to change the usual subscriptions or
operation.

Alan