Easy to use firewall and invisible proxy?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Sep 23 08:54:13 MST 2008

Alan Dayley wrote:
> Recomendations sought: Easy to use firewall and invisible proxy.
>
> I have friends and family that want a firewall and invisible proxy
> with content filtering as a gateway on their Internet connection.  I
> know some of the usual suspects like IPCop[1] with Copfilter[2].
> Dan's Guardian[3] is also nice for content filtering but does not
> always behave well with Copfilter.
>
> So, rather than continue my late night search, I thought I'd ask here
> about possible solutions.  There must be some out there already, such
> as those used in schools and the like.  Does anyone have some
> recommendations?
>
> Alan
>
> [1]http://www.ipcop.org
> [2]http://www.copfilter.org
> [3]http://dansguardian.org

Have a look at Untangle (http://untangle.com). I took a look at it a few
months ago. The gUI is pretty nice, it's full featured, and you can easily
pick and choose the features you want to implement. My impression was that
it was a bit of a resource hog though, at least compared to IPCop. I'm
sticking with IPCop and dansguardian for now. I've had no problems with DG
behaving well with IPCop, although my web filtering needs aren't very
sophisticated.

--
-Eric 'shubes'