problem installing Ubuntu in Windows

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 22:06:40 MST 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Charles Jones
<charles.jones at ciscolearning.org> wrote:
> Dennis wrote:
>> I new to the list. I am trying to install Ubuntu in Windows. My
>> computer is XP Home SP3, AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 GHz, 1 GB of RAM.

Dennis, I have done a number of regular and wubi installs.  Your
hardware would not seem to be a problem here.  I do not know if
anything in XP SP3 is an issue.  Especially I do not know if your SP3
is causing problems because of the AMD processor but some do.  Also I
would ask if you are running a 64-bit version of XP? Or a 64 bit
version of ubuntu.

One thing to be clear on is that you do not initiate a wubi install by
rebooting.  You load the CD while running windows and (assuming
autorun is on) a window will pop up with a menu.  The second item is
to install ubuntu within windows.  That is probably what you used to
try the wubi install, but please verify that.

Once you make your choices in the dialog box, wubi will create the
files needed within the Windows file system (probably NTFS) and adjust
the Windows boot.ini (for XP) to have a menu which includes both
ubuntu and windows.  Ubuntu is not yet installed, but the wubi
structure is.  It will request a reboot which (assuming you choose
ubuntu from that menu) will boot into the wubi system which will run
the ubuntu install from the image it made previously.

I was also not clear whether you got precisely the same result during
a LiveCD install from booting from the CD as you got during the wubi
install from within windows.

I am very busy this week, but will try to check email each evening.