running a pc fan outside of a case

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Fri Sep 5 10:21:10 MST 2008

OK.  I have a nice big fan I need to wire up.  I have a few power bricks
lying around I could use, and I need some advice about which to pick.

Fan : 12V. 3 speed. 0.24A/0.2A/0.13A
http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/tricool_install.html

Power supplies available :
1. 12V, 1000mA
2. 12V, 600mA

Both of these seem a little underpowered.  Will that just make the fan
spin slower, or do I really need to get a 12V,0.24A power supply from
somewhere?  I could also go back and buy a smaller fan.

alex