ot: browser

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Wed Sep 3 14:02:39 MST 2008

They have the same or similar EULA on all their products from Gmail, to
Google Apps, etc. They basically say that you are giving them permission
to reformat or redisplay your data. For some reason people thinks this
means that they "own" everything you type, which is not true, and they
say so in their FAQ.

Joshua Zeidner wrote:

>   anyone catch this?
>

> http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-eula-claims-ownership-of-everything-you-create-using-chrome-from-blog-posts-to-emails
>
>   I think it may be a bad thing for competition and innovation for
> Google to control the browser level as well.
>
>   -jmz
>
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:44 PM, James Lee Bell
> <nuclear-cowboy at cox.net <mailto:nuclear-cowboy at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     Look at their little comic book and they explain that. Every tab is
>     supposed to be a different process by design, the idea being to
>     sandbox
>     individual apps/streams from each other. The only thing that's not
>     sandboxed in that manner are their plugins, and they're looking for a
>     way to do them too.
>
>     Josh Coffman wrote:
>     > I was comparing the memory footprint of it, when I realized it was
>     > actually running across several process. At first it looked
>     rather light
>     > weight at around 38meg private mem.  Then I noticed there was
>     roughly
>     > one of those for each tab I had open.
>     >
>     > It did seem quite responsive though.
>     >
>     > -j

> "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
> War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." --Albert Einstein
>
> - http://www.joshuazeidner.com/

Charles R. Jones II
IT Team Lead/Senior Systems Engineer
Cisco Learning Institute IT Dept