samba and pdfs

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Oct 28 14:30:39 MST 2008

Sorry (here's the breif version):

1) Troubleshoot:  "What is it - what is it not?"

What do your logs say?

Example /var/log/samba/

[2008/10/26 14:33:08, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(252)
  spidersvr (10.217.7.11) couldn't find service
::{2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d}
***********************

2) Verify Cups PDF settings: "Divide and conquer.."

What changed?  Did you upgrade any drivers?

---excerpt from Reference---(see below)

Leveraging Linux Printers

Adding a Postscript Spool for Our Printer
To add and share a new spool for the Canon i560 printer that accepts Postscript print jobs, justfollow these steps. Bear in mind that we must use the older (but compatible) Canon BJC-7000 driver. That’s because no driver specifically for the Canon i560 <sic "was"> is included with Fedora or avail-
able on www.linuxprinting.org as of this writing.
What if we needed to use a printer that wasn’t supported by Fedora? We’d check www.linuxprinting.org for an appropriate driver. www.linuxprinting.org offers PPD files for many printers. These can then be imported into the CUPS printing system using the “Import PPD” option on the “Actions” menu of the Fedora printer configuration tool.
1.
Pull down the “Applications” menu and drill down to System Settings Printing. Wait for the printer configuration tool to appear.
2.
Click the “New” button to add a new print queue.
3.
Click “Forward” on the explanatory page that follows.
4.
On the “Queue name” page, enter LinPrinter1
in the “Name” field. In the “Short
description” field, enter Linux Printer One
or another descriptive name that you like.
Click “Forward.”
5.
On the “Queue type” page, pull down the “Select a queue type” menu and pick “Locally-connected”
6.
In the list box beneath that menu, select “/dev/lp0.” Then click “Forward.”
7.
On the “Printer model” page, pull down the “Manufacturer” menu and pick “Canon.”
Then scroll through the list of models and pick “BJC 7000.” Click “Forward.”
8.
The “Finish, and Create the New Print Queue” page appears. Click “Finished.”
9.
When asked whether you wish to print a test page, click the “Yes” button. A test page will emerge after a short delay.

Reference:  http://port25.technet.com/videos/winlinchapter.pdf

3) Challenge your Assumptions:  "PDF - some printer drivers don't support PDF..."

Have you EVER been able to print to a PDF?

http://www.linux.com/feature/61826

http://www.linuxprinting.org/  - check features of drivers here.

4)  Other information:  "Did you know..."

cups-pdf will allow you to print to a PDF.

Did you know you can also use Ghostscript to create a psuedo printer device to print directly to a PDF from a Windows based system using Samba?

Reference:  http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:_mv73Q9Q0EUJ:www.reverendlinux.com/linux/mpdf.pdf+XP+workstation+to+my+samba+shared+pdf+format&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Obnosis |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis | Obnosis.com (503)754-4452