How to transfer files between computers on a network

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Oct 23 14:05:57 MST 2008

There is a -B (batch mode) option that prevents asking for passwords.
I'm not sure how that would work though. I expect that the target
system's user account would need to have no password in that case, but
I'm not sure of that.

rsync really isn't much different syntax wise from scp, and it allows
for a --password-file option that's handy when using the command in scripts.

Josef Lowder wrote:
> And the scp file transfer worked.
> It did ask for a password, though.
> Not a big problem, but is there any way
> to avoid that requirement for an extra manual step?
> Perhaps put the password in the initial syntax somehow?
>

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
>> Thanks, Eric.  That solved the sshd issue.
>> So now, I will try scp again.
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:
>>> Trial and error. I'd start with making sure sshd is running on the
>>> target machine. Usually (depending on distro),
>>> # /etc/init.d/sshd status
>>> will tell if it's running or not. If it's not running,
>>> # /etc/init.d/sshd start
>>> should start it up, but only until the next reboot. The method of making
>>> it persistent depends on the distro.

>>> --
>>> -Eric 'shubes'

-Eric 'shubes'