How to transfer files between computers on a network

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:36:46 MST 2008

also depending on how your location is set up if you have users that
are exchagneing files internally for shareing/collaboration an
alternative would be to set up a jabber server as and internal chat
application.

http://www.jabber.org/web/Main_Page

but its hard to be fully useful in suggestions without knowing more
about what you are intending to do.

an alternative would be a content management tool that allows forum
style posts with file attachments as part of it so updates and
alterations can be attached in a historical manner. there are a number
of options here to work with.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for your answers.
> Sorry I wasn't clear enough in describing my situation.
>
> Looking back in my notes, I see that I had asked this question
> previously, and got lots of good replies, but then never followed-thru
> to get something working.  I think good solutions are in the replies
> everyone has provided.  I just need to actually try some of them
> to figure out which is the easiest for my needs.
>
> Previously, some suggestions were:
> (1) "scp *.jpg 192.168.1.12:"
> (2) sftp (if you have ssh running) then username at ip-adress
> (3) From KDE Konqueror, in the location bar type:
> fish://ipaddress/location/or/folder
> (4) NFS or Samba are better/faster solutions, but require setup
> (5) From GNOME, click on Places, then Connect to Server and select server type;
>  Nautilus will pop up and you can drag-n-drop files.
>
> 'scp' sounds like the easiest for most of what I need between among
> my Linux systems, which is my main objective.
>
> Thanks again.

Stephen