How to transfer files between computers on a network

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Oct 21 19:33:02 MST 2008

1) Fiber channel or ISCSI NAS
2) SAN
3) NFS (local network?)
4) External USB Seagate 500 GB drive and Multipath I/O GFS in Redhat

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Obnosis |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis | Obnosis.com (503)754-4452
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:26:30 -0700
From: eric.cope at gmail.com
To: plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: How to transfer files between computers on a network

I will think outside the box and say, thumb drive?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:

scp is certainly easy to use. rsync is much more efficient in a scenario

where you're trying to keep a backup copy in sync. After the first copy,

which isn't much different from scp performance wise, rsync only copies

files that have changed.

With either program, ownerships and permissions can get screwed up if

you're not careful to use the proper flags. -a for 'archive' is usually

a good choice for rsync, -p to preserve permissions and dates for scp.

See the man page(s) for the full gamut.

Ryan Rix wrote:

> Hi Josef,

> I think that scp is the best by far...

> first install an sshd. Under Debian and its equivalents, use

> #aptitude install openssh-server

> on all boxes that you want to do the filestransferring. any windows boxes

> install WinSCP.

> then type

> scp /source/file user at targethost:/directory/to/send

> and type in the remote box'es password for that user.

> ~Ryan

> --

> Thanks and best regards,

> Ryan Rix

> TamsPalm - The PalmOS Blog

> I begin to wonder if randomized sigs really accomplish anything.

> On Tue October 21 2008 06:22:58 pm Josef Lowder wrote:

>> I have two computers connected via an ethernet hub

>> and two more connected by wireless.  What is the

>> best way to copy or transfer files between them?

-Eric 'shubes'