Bulding kernels "the Debian way" -- trials and tribulations

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Oct 20 19:56:04 MST 2008

Since it's a given that the kernel loadable modules are probably needed for something in the tuxonice and since you are no doubt going to have to rebuild the kernel, it's also suggested that you take that original config (since you installed tuxonice patch using it via aptitute) and CAREFULLY rebuild it.

Many of the loadable modules don't (past linux 2.4) make the kernel huge since they are never invoked, rather like DSO modules in modern Apache.  AND many of the drivers or modules might seen to SAY they are for "blah" in a real non-intuitive way, but be "refactored" for other uses (like tuxonice).  Many can be left, since they are essentially "hooks" causing no slowage or bloat as a loadable module?

Rebuild the kernel with the current config and work backwards changing one SMALL item at a time - testing between.

Original ISSUE Reference:

I have been struggling for a number of days now to compile a kernel for my
Gateway MT3423 laptop, with tuxonice kernel patches.

Following the steps outlined in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz I
have:
downloaded the kernel source (using aptitude install linux-source-2.6.26)
downloaded the patches I wanted (aptitude install linux-patch-tuxonice).
configured it (attached is my .config)
and ran make-kpkg kernel-image

the kernel builds, I install it successfully, but there are two issues so far:
1 - The VGA modes I had used on my debian packaged kernel, vga=791, doesnt
work right, and I can't get any of the othe modes it finds to work... The
default works but I can't see all that the display dumps... The distro'd
kernel I'm running is the same version that I'm trying to build (2.6.26
versus 2.6.26.00Custom or so) so I don't know how the modes could change...
and
2 - The kernel hangs while initializing ACPI, under the cooling_device_1
registration. As I run a laptop, ACPI is a big requirement for me personally.
I tried bulding with both APM and ACPI but to no avail.