OT: hardware question

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Tue Oct 14 08:06:55 MST 2008

Lisa Kachold wrote:
> A 300 MHz is going to be a tad slow.  The current requirements for
> FreeGeek recycled equipment are 500Mhz and the older equipment works
> great for most users.   After all what are we doing but browsing?
>
> The best tool in my bag is a Big TACK or twisty wire with the plastic
> bitten off at that base, to insert into the tiny CDROM hole and
> release the drive bay door.
>
> It's the "Hal 9000 drive bay door problem"...."I am sorry Dave, I
> can't do that..." Arthur C. Clark
Actually, I used a 100MHz Packard Hell machine as a firewall - running
Mandrake 9, I think - for several years until the Cisco modem I'd
attached it to died. Since that was all it was doing, it worked
reasonably well.
Mainly, I was attempting to avoid buying a new scope card, cheapskate
that I am. I think this is the only machine I have left with an ISA
interface.
Oh well, I got the old power supply back in there, and it has a
functioning network card. Would be nice to actually have a normally
functioning CD, though.
Vaughn